Today I'm sharing another two cards with you.
'GIRL' Birthday Card
This is a very simple and quick to make card, concentrating on using just one main stamp image and 2 colour scheme with texture provided by rough torn edging.
The main card stock is actually clear acetate...something I use a lot in my cards...it adds interest and is a bit different from the norm. I took an A4 sheet of acetate, cut to size required and folded neatly using a score board and bone folder to make sure I achieved a sharp and straight crease. Acetate bruises easily and goes white where it is creased or bent....using a board and bone folder minimises this but if you are still not liking that whiteness, a wrap of ribbon or threads around the card spine will help disguise it.
Four layers of card and paper were used, white lightly textured artists cartridge paper which had a frame embossed and then the edges torn...and a contrasting layer of pink handmade tissue paper, again with edges ripped. The top 'mat' is stamped with 'Sheer' a Jill Penney & Daniel Torrente image by Stampotique, in black ink, the dress coloured in with a Promarker alcohol ink pen to match the tissue paper layer, and some tiny sparkles added to the hair with a glitter glue pen.. I freehand drew the frame surrounding the image and the Happy Birthday sentiment. This top mat was slightly raised by using foam glue pads. In order to provide an area inside in which to write a greeting, I applied a white piece of card direct to the back of the front section...this also hides and glue/tape showing through the clear acetate where the front pieces of card were adhered.
'CRACKLED FRAME' card
This was one of my first attempts at making my own paper flowers and distress crackle effects using a product that was just new on the scene - Tim Holtz crackle paint 'Clear Rock Candy'
The main frame was a square piece of artists mount frame with a central aperture cut out using the classic Spellbinders Nestabilities dies 'Labels One'. The die is not deep enough to cut right through the mount board, so I ran it through my die cutting machine to part cut through the top layers then finished off cutting out with a scalpel blade, by hand. The frame was then painted with a cream acrylic paint and once dried, treated with the crackle paint. A small piece of mount board was also cut out using a smaller Labels One die and paint treated the same way. Once the crackle effect was achieved and totally dry, I rubbed over the pieces using 'Walnut Stain' Distress ink then quickly buffed off the excess using a soft cloth, to highlight the cracks and edges. Once dry and set I lightly buffed over the whole area again with a tiny bit of clear wax polish to add a subtle sheen.
For the main floral embellishment I selected some MemoryStor scrapbooking paper (Costco) which had a nice distressed pattern in burgundy and blues on one side and plain burgundy on the reverse. I first cut out some mats in co-ordinating colours for the back of the frame aperture, then some leaf shapes which were creased and shaped to create depth...and set about making the flowers.
I created the flowers using a wet paper technique. Here is my tutorial from my SixInchSquare Blog
Back then I free hand drew and cut out the flowers using templates but now I have a good collection of dies that I use...much quicker and easier to do. I made three flowers and adhered them into the aperture along with the leaf shapes, attached some brass brads and short piece of chain to the additional mountboard piece and glued this to one side. The ribbon embellishment is ivory coloured Seam Binding ribbon from a local haberdashery store which I inked up with some co-ordinating Distress Ink pads (heat set with a heat gun), knotted up into a scruffy bow and adhered under the flowers. To tie the whole piece together and highlight the metal fittings, I lightly smeared the edges of the frame, flower petals and leaves with 'Rub n Buff' 'Autumn Gold'....and although not shown in the above photo, a small sentiment was attached to the small mountboard piece.
Looking back at this now, I think I'd add little something to the outer edges of the frame....it seems a little plain to me now...maybe a little more distressing ink or even another layer of frame.
THE SIX INCH SQUARE BLOG