Sunday 9 December 2018

Yes StudioForty is still here!

2018 has been a hectic year for me with a number of operations and hospital visits that has slowed my work down....next year will not be any different, sigh, but I push on and will strive to make as many lovely things as possible and keep you all informed here on the blog. Since my last post there has been very little to show and tell and I fear I'm neglecting you again ☹️

I'm still currently only operating StudioForty and selling via my Facebook page, Etsy shop is no longer operational as I felt it didn't suit me as a selling platform, but I'm hoping to set up a shop on Folksy next year so if you don't use Facebook then you'll once more have the opportunity and another option to buy my wares! Oh, and I've held off for far too long....methinks it's time to jump aboard the Instagram train. I'll let you know when that's set up...just need to sharpen up my photography skills ;)

So....now, it's catch up time - while I've been on 'Blogger holiday' I've been working on a collection based on Ogham Stones, which includes paintings, cards and jewellery. The first sets have been released and available to buy...and are creating lots of interest and excellent feedback so I'm definitely running with this idea, selling lots for xmas, and more will be added to the line next year....especially where jewellery concerns...so keep your eyes peeled and I'll be letting you all know via the usual FB, Twitter...and here!


I'm a bit obsessed with standing stones, henges, ancient monuments and buildings, always have been - over the years Clive and I have traveled around many parts of the UK to see them, from the obvious famous Stonehenge, and Avebury (my all time favourite place), to many smaller collections dotted around the Midlands and south of the country that many people do not know about, a lot of which are under the care of English Heritage. We've managed to visit some abroad too, like Carnac in Brittany and my bucket list contains the wish to see more stones up in Scotland and the Islands (if that happens I don't know but I live in hope!).

 'LOVE'

Ogham script carved stones have fascinated me for such a long time, actually since I was a teenager when a friend gave me a xmas gift of a book that mentioned them and I was determined to discover more about them. Ever since I have always wanted to do something in my art inspired by both the stones and script...I've studied and looked at ways to interpret into my own designs...hence my collection I'm now revealing with the jewellery, cards...and these paintings!

'FAMILY'

My paintings are all original watercolour and mixed medium. I create a background with a very expressive technique that I feel represents the textures of the stones and lichens that form on them. The paper becomes embedded with elements from that technique and adds texture and character to the painting. These backgrounds are tightened up with detail, which then goes on to determine the shape and character of the stone itself.

'CREATE'

Every single stone, every single background takes on a life and form of it's own, it's very intuitive process and means that every single painting is totally unique. I finish off the stone with it's 'carved' inscription - I use the finest and smallest of pure hair brushes, and a magnifying glass to add the detailing...it takes many hours to complete! and finally a bit of magic is applied by way of some mystic shimmer.
'COMPASSION'

I will not be taking prints off these painting so when you buy one, you know it's unique, original one off and can not be identically repeated.

'HOPE'

Each painting is on quality watercolour paper overall measurement approx 13 x 9 inches (approx 33 x 23 cm), image size approx 11.5 x 7.5 inches, and has a raw torn edge. They come posted to you unmounted and unframed, to keep costs down, and gives you freedom to frame as you wish. Most customers do not apply a mount frame over my work that's presented in this form because they feel the torn paper edging adds to the character of the painting and is often left visible as a feature. Each painting also comes with a description and certificate of originality.

Prices start from £35 plus p&p (I will combine postage costs the more items you buy together). At the moment I only sell and ship within the UK, and payment is via Paypal only.

Please note I have also have two paintings that were my original design with the stone created by applying an overlay of paper which gives a raised effect. This is a technique I'm no longer doing...and so as stock clearance, they have lower prices.

I've also created hand painted Ogham Art Cards.


like the paintings, these are all totally individual and original watercolours, all assembled by hand, by me and will not be reproduced as a print or exact copy.

 'LOVE'

Each card comes with an envelope and description explaining their meaning and is in a cellophane wrap for protection. They are blank inside for your own personal message.

'PEACE'
(for more card examples see my Facebook page)

Not just for sending as a greetings  cards, these have already proved popular to customers who have kept them and framed them as small artworks...I have to say they do look rather nice framed. So maybe treat yourself to a mini painting or send as a card - cum - gift!

For my jewellery range, I'm currently working on getting some more made...I've sold out of what I already had in stock!

There will be a standard stock of phrases available, but as with all my Ogham work, each are individually hand crafted with their own characteristics and unique looks. I cut and shape each 'silver stone' by hand, I engrave/carve the script by hand to keep the old traditional look of the original stone carvings. I'm looking to possibly expand into more personalised pieces such as with names, and so currently working on designs to incorporate that. Here's an example of the pendants range...they will be available in sterling silver antiqued effect and with, or without chains.



Full details and where you can buy Ogham collection items and other art and jewellery are here - STUDIOFORTY FACEBOOK

Please note ALL RIGHTS RESERVED all images and artwork/jewellery designs ©AJLEE & ©STUDIOFORTY and must not be copied or reproduced in any format. Thank you.

XXX Ange XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment